It was easy to predict. After the call by general Abdel Fattah el Sisi for a mass demonstrations on Friday to give him an “order” to “Confront” what he called “terrorism”, violence followed with the result of dozens of dead people among the pro-Morsi protesters. Muslim Brotherhood sources put the death toll in at least 75 demonstrators while health authorities said they were “only” 21, but reporters from Reuters and AFP counted more than 30 bodies laid out at a makeshift mortuary at a field hospital.
Doctors at the field hospital said 75 people had been killed close to the Morsi supporters’ nearly month-old sit-in at the Rabaah al-Adawiyah Mosque in Cairo’s Nasr City. If the death toll is confirmed it would be the deadliest incident since Morsi was deposed by the army more than three weeks ago. On July 8, 53 people, mostly Morsi supporters, died when armed men opened fire close to a Republican Guard compound in the area, al Jazeera reports.
Mass demonstrations took place on Friday in Cairo with hundreds of thousands of people answering to the call at Tahrir square and while thousands of pro Morsi and pro Muslim Brotherhood supporters were demonstrating in Nasr City. Gehad El-Haddad, the Muslim Brotherhood spokesman, said the shooting started shortly before pre-dawn morning prayers on Saturday the fringes of the vigil being staged by backers of Morsi. It seems that the shooters where policemen and armed civilians. Other cities were also scenarios of demonstrations and violence as Alexandria with at least 7 dead and almost two hundred wounded.
Now the violence is on the streets, and anger is raising in the Muslim Brotherhood. Their protesters still asking for the release and reinstatement of the ousted president Morsi against all odds. He is under arrest. At the beginning, without known charges, then he was charged of insulting the judicial power, but now stands accused of the “premeditated murder of some prisoners, officers and soldiers” when he broke out of prison during the 2011 uprising that toppled veteran strongman Hosni Mubarak, MENA said.
The situation is critical and can lead to more violence now that general el Sisi can say that hundreds of thousands had answered his call to authorize him to “confront” “possible violence and potential terrorism”. Something leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood said that was a call for a “civil war”.
The problem is that according to reports, in today’s violence participated armed civilians along with policemen, and that is not what the general promised.
Anyway, the future is not easy for Egypt, deeply divided and in a high risk of a violence ahead. The after
Abdel Fattah el Sisi