– Did you hear it?: “Kerry, Lavrov call for ‘localized’ ceasefire in Syria ahead of Geneva II talks”.
– I wonder what “localized” exactly means.
– “We talked today about the possibility of trying to encourage a ceasefire, maybe a localized ceasefire beginning with Aleppo,” Kerry told reporters after their meeting, says the news
– When are due to start the talks?
– In a week, next 22 January.
– And they are talking about the “possibility of trying yo encourage a ceasefire” now? It sounds weak very weak and unreachable.
– There is more. Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister said this should not be a precondition for the peace conference.
– Then we are once again in front of words and nothing more than empty words. Too many empty words around this war while people are dying every day and getting homeless and suffering so much. How many countries have been invited to participate in the talks?
– About 30, but the Syrian National Coalition did not named its representatives yet.
– I know. They are discussing if is worth while to attend or not.
– So, there are 30 countries invited to talk about Syria without knowing if the Syrians will attend? That’s crazy. And what happens with the al Qaeda groups fighting there?
– A total ceasefire is what Syria needs. Not a “possibility of trying to encourage” one. Too many people has died. It’s time to stop the damn bloodshed, end the sieges, stop the bombings, the aerial attacks, facilitate the humanitarian aid to all in need and sit down for serious peace talks with the affected. Bashar Al Assad is supposed to command a regular army. He could order an immediate ceasefire if he wanted. No more delays. No more empty words and discussions politically elaborated by who knows who, with who knows what interests, that at the end mean nothing or are completely inefficient. For how long will this war continue? What will happen with the neighbouring countries hosting so many refugees like Lebanon and Jordan?
– Wait, wait. At least they will start talking in this Geneva II Conference. It’s a step forward.
– You’re always an optimist.
Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines.