Widespread attacks and sieges on civilian areas in Syria by pro-Government forces are leading to mass casualties, malnutrition and starvation, according to the latest report of the independent international Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic. The report says that both pro-Government and non-State armed groups have committed massacres, and the Commission considers that the UN Security Council has failed to take action to end impunity.

UN agencies said 1,151 people have so far been evacuated from Homs Old City, reporting starvation conditions, with the UN human rights office voicing deep concern at the detention by the Syrian authorities of 336 men and boys and warning that torture and mistreatment is a war crime, the UN news services informs.

Click over to whatever website you visit most frequently to get news. Find the third headline on the page. Make sure that headline is in your post.
– Did you hear it?: “Kerry, Lavrov call for ‘localized’ ceasefire in Syria ahead of Geneva II talks”.
– I wonder what “localized” exactly means.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today said that he would convene in Geneva on 22 January the long-sought international conference on Syria bringing together the Government and the opposition to a negotiating table for the first time since the conflict started in March 2011.

Syrian opposition to boycott Geneva talks – Middle East – Al Jazeera English. Summary: Syria’s opposition will not participate in proposed international peace talks in Geneva next month, its leader has said. “The National Coalition will not take part in any international conference or any such efforts so long as the militias of Iran and […]

The foreign ministers of the EU decided after 12 hours of discussions, they will not renew the embargo on weapons to the Syrian Opposition that ends next Saturday. The UK and France were pushing for the end of the embargo to press the regime of Al Assad ahead of the planned conference of peace in […]